historia

ίστορία, or historia, is a Greek word that means not only to investigate or to enquire, but also to share the fruits of those investigations with the world.

It is not my intention to have this site as place for my online journal. I wish it to be more of an online community with my friends and family making contributions to an intellectual dialog. To that exent this is an invitation for all of you not only to read and enjoy this page, but to make contributions to it as well.

Thursday, November 25, 2004

Historical Career Options

I got my assignment turned in today; summarize the book in four pages yeah!

In my historiography class we are studying about different ways to study and write about history. I have been thinking more and more about what area to specialize in. I am registered with American Military University to get a Masters in Middle Eastern History. The more I think about it however, this is going to be a degree in 20th century Middle Eastern History and there are few courses that deal with Middle Eastern history before these countries were taken over by the colonial powers. So I have been thinking about changing my specialization to something else, like Asian History for example. There are enough courses that AMU offers in Asian history that is pre-colonial that it would be a better survey of the region.

Now if all I want to do is to get a Masters degree and to continue to teach at a high school, a worthy goal that I am very satisfied with mind you, then either of these two degree options are great. I already have considerable knowledge of Western Civilization, all I need to enhance my career as a World History teacher is to gain more knowledge outside of Western Civ, this way I would be a more well rounded teacher. However, if I want to be able to contribute my own two-cents to the historical community I would be poorly suited to the task with either of these degree options, because I lack the language ability necessary to make sense of the primary source documents that are not already in English. If I was pursuing 20th century Middle Eastern History, this would not be too much of a problem as long as I stick to the Arab-Israeli conflict, but the further I stray from that topic (which is overdone anyway) the greater my need to read and translate Arabic becomes.

This brings me right back to my main stumbling block in life, foreign languages: I suck in learning foreign languages. Of course, when I think about it, this is not quite true. I suck at speaking or writing in a foreign language, but those are not the skills that I need as a historian. I need to be able to read and translate a foreign language. My experiences in formal (and informal) German language training courses has always been very frustrating for me and I have always felt stupid (I hate feeling stupid). However, I did manage to get my 2 sophomore semester classes in German in order to get m BA. (I passed them with a C and a D). So I am thinking about reading and translating a little bit of German every day (I have been able to practice the piano this way) and grind away at this until in a few years time I will be able to read and translate scholarly articles written in German.

This of course means changing my specialization to European History and writing the history of Germany for the English reading public. This is a new contribution to the scholarly world as most German history of the Middle Ages is only accessible to German readers. Of course, a knowledge of Latin would be helpful too, but most of the Latin documents in England and France have been translated into English already, but most of Germany’s Latin documents have only been translated into German. This would also mean that I would be keeping the door open for a doctorate degree in the future. A doctorate does not make sense if you cannot read the primary source documents, so I would have to specialize in U.S. or British history and there are way too many people running around with those degrees and I lack the interest in those areas anyway.

Well enough of my ramblings. Time to go work on my paper outline.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:30 AM, Blogger worthywoman said…

    This could be quite delightful... your Blog, I mean.

    Since I started learning Latin via e-mail list, I've begun to wonder whether I have a talent for languages myself. Just because I enjoyed learning German in sixth grade, Spanish in high school and college, Japanese in my free time, and Klingon online doesn't mean that I'm good at REMEMBERING what I thought I learned!

    But it's so much FUN!

    Anyhow... if languages are a sticking point, maybe these links will be useful:

    Index of groups: http://www.ravendays.org/latin/lists/listindex.html
    For ancient Greek, send a blank email to greekstudy-subscribe@vlists.net
    See also http://www.quasillum.com/greek/greekstudy.html
    For Sanskrit, send a blank email to sanskrit-subscribe@vlists.net
    See also http://www.sanskritstudy.com/
    For modern German, send a blank email to germanstudy-subscribe@vlists.net
    See also http://www.lavitanuova.com/german/germanstudy.html

     

Post a Comment

<< Home